Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Reading Challenge

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about how much time I spend on the computer (Hint: Way too much) and how it's really not a good use of my time. At least when Darren's on his computer he's usually programming, moderating things in an online forum about things he's interested in, or working on homework. Since I'm not in school anymore and I only work part-time, I have a LOT of free time on my hands, but I never know what to do with it all!

So I've decided that, at least for the summer, I'm challenging myself to get back into reading. Ask anyone who knew me as a kid - I used to read all. the. dang. time. During the day, late at night, and even while walking between classes (or in class!). But since college, I haven't been reading as much.

The challenge? Read a book a week for all of summer. Starting last week. And then post a short review of them here. That's a goal of about 13 books (and 13 reviews) by the end of summer/my birthday. Considering I once read 25 books in one semester of high school, this should be easy. (But I think it'll be harder than it should be, considering my current computer habits.)

Anyone else want to get more books checked off their To Be Read list this summer? Join in the challenge, and we'll talk books together!

Today, I finished my first summer reading book, so here's my first review.

__________________________________________________

"Nobody's Princess" by Esther Fresiner




This is a fun Young Adult (YA) historical fiction. It tells the story of young Helen of Troy, the beautiful princess with the Face that Launched a Thousand Ships. With interlaced stories of Greek myth and a look into what Helen's young life may have been like, it really pulls you into what Bronze Age Greece was like. There's a historical note ("Something About Helen") at the back of the book that gives more historical context, if you're interested in that sort of thing. (I am.)

"Nobody's Princess" mostly focuses on the legend/myth/story of the Calydonian Boar Hunt and the great huntress Atalanta, who befriends and mentors strong-willed Helen in her more masculine pursuits (hunting, horseback riding, and so on). There's a lot of lead-up before we get to the Great Boar Hunt, and actually a lot after it, so most of the book is actually about Helen growing up and the adventures and lessons she has.

I read this several years ago after the cover caught my eye in the bookstore, and I remember really enjoying it. This time around, it wasn't quite as captivating for me, and I'm not even going to pick up the sequel right away like I did last time. But that might just be because I'm older than the intended audience now. Maybe it was because I knew where the story was going. Either way, it's a light, fun read that I'd recommend to someone looking for an easy summer book to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment