About two weeks ago was my last day working at Cedar Fort. It was very sad, but since I love me a good party, I made sure there was food and cards and gifts for my wonderful coworkers. I posted about the bookmarks over on my stamp blog (and I'll eventually post the cards, too), but a few people in the office asked me to post the recipe for the banana muffins I brought in that day. Which I totally forgot to post. Until today! It's my "healthy" recipe for muffins. Yeah, yeah, I know that most muffins really aren't actually that healthy, but these are adapted from a recipe that was basically for un-frosted cupcakes. So comparatively, they're healthy.
Healthified Banana Muffins
3 large (very ripe) bananas
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup plain applesauce
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 (maybe 1?) tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Add-ins (optional) :
a few handfuls of chocolate chips (and/or white chocolate chunks - yum!)
walnuts
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
Mash bananas. Mix in sugar, then add egg & applesauce. Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir in any add-ins, if desired.
Fill muffin liners 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean (except maybe some melted chocolate from the chips).
Another option, especially handy if you're running low on chocolate chips, is to melt about 1/4 cup chocolate chips with a little bit of oil (coconut oil works very well), then drizzle with a spoon over the tops of the muffins.
To contain the mess, transfer muffins from pans onto a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap, with the muffins touching each other, then drizzle. Can also use which chocolate (or vanilla candy melts) the same way.
When chocolate is still warm, sprinkle chopped walnuts on top, if desired.
Enjoy within about 3 days, since the applesauce makes the muffins go stale a bit quicker than oil or butter would.
No comments:
Post a Comment