Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Second (Belated) Summer Book Review

Remember that Summer Reading Challenge that I set for myself? To read one book a week for the rest of summer? Well, so far it's not going so great. Evidently, when you get out of the habit of doing something and let that habit lapse for about 5 years, it's hard to get started again! So I've only read about 4 books (if we're rounding up from the one I'm reading now) since the challenge began, and I only wrote the one book review.

But I really wanted to tell you about the second -- or possibly the 3rd? I've forgotten the order -- book that I read, because it was fantastic. About 2 years ago, I read a book by Kathleen Flinn titled "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School." I loved that book! It walks you through 9 lessons given to self-proclaimed "rookie cooks" from all walks of life and teaches the basics of food shopping, prep, and techniques. So when I saw that the Provo Library had Ms. Flinn's other book, I just had to read it. And here's my quick review.

______________________________________________

"The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry"
by Kathleen Flinn



In "The Sharper Your Knife," the author tells her story of losing her corporate job and, on a whim, deciding to move to France and attend Le Cordon Bleu, the world's most prestigious cooking school. She tells a good story, and shares recipes along the way, and if you've ever been curious about what attending Le Cordon Bleu might be like then this is definitely a good read. Overall, I enjoyed the book. I read it in just a few days and thought that it was a very good book. One that I'll probably be adding to my bookshelf at some point. I love her storytelling voice and the way she takes you along with her on her journey. The recipes she shared mostly don't interest me, since a lot of them are very, very French recipes (boned meat stuffed with some sort of mushed meat concoction) or very, very complicated.

In my opinion, "The Sharper Your Knife" was a great book. Lots of great storytelling, sprinkled with some useful recipes and tips. If that's what you're in the mood for, then I definitely recommend this book. If you want something more instructional, I wholeheartedly recommend her second book, "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School."

No comments:

Post a Comment