Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Home-made Potstickers -- Delicious and pretty darn easy

I have to admit, when I first found this recipe for potstickers, I was a little intimidated. And by a little, I mean a lot. They're potstickers! They seemed so... well, foreign. And difficult. But it turns out, they're really not all that difficult. Yes, they are time-consuming. Let me emphasize that: These are time-consuming and so very worth it! One other disclaimer: These do use a few "specialty" ingredients, things you might not have on hand. But they're worth it. Definitely.

Ok. Disclaimer section over. Now on to the recipe! I got this from a food blog I follow, Recipes of a Cheapskate. Here's the link to the original recipe, to give credit where it's due.

Potstickers
  • 1 pkg wonton wrappers (I buy a pack of round ones at WinCo and there's extra filling once I've used all the wrappers)
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix (found near the bagged salads)
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 2 tsp ginger (I freeze and then grate it--works great!)
  • 3-4 stalks green onions, sliced thinly
  • 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil (PLEASE don't leave this out! It gives that great "Asian" flavor)
Mix all the ingredients together (except for the wrappers). Spoon a TINY bit (about a teaspoon) into the middle of one wrapper. Fold in half. Seal the edges with water. Then take the potsticker and bend it in half. I use the edge of a glass to do this quick & easy. Dip your finger in a little water and tack the corners of the potsticker together.







To cook, heat about 2-3 Tbsp (canola) oil in a pan. I also add a drop of the sesame oil to the frying pan. After it's HOT, add the pot-stickers, but don't crowd the pan. Let them brown on the bottom for a minute, then put the lid on it. Leave a tiny opening so you can pour some water over them. Hot oil and water do NOT play well together. You'll want to have enough water to cover the pot-stickers about 1/3 of the way. (For the 10-in nonstick pan that I use, it's usually about 1/2 cup of water, maybe even a little less.) Cover them and let 'em cook until the water's gone. You'll hear a difference in the sizzle. Flip them over and cook until the other side's crispy.

This recipe makes about 60 potstickers, give or take. The ones you don't cook, you can freeze! Just fold them up, but don't cook them, then place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Leave the pan in the freezer, uncovered, for a few hours until the potstickers are hard. Then bag-n-tag 'em and cook them up like usual whenever you have a craving for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment