Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Delicious Homemade Chili

A week or so ago, I made chili for a cousins' get-together we had at our apartment. I wasn't really following a recipe, and I just threw things in the pot, but it was some of THE BEST chili I've had in a long time. Although, it started with bacon, so how bad could it have been? I figured I'd' share the recipe here (1) so I could remember it, but also (2) so that you guys could make this amazing chili too. (I don't believe in secret recipes -- not most of the time, anyway.)
1/2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 lb hamburger
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp oregano (dried)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained
2 (15-oz) cans diced or crushed tomatoes, drained
1 small (4-oz?) can diced green chiles
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp tobasco sauce or Tapatio (more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
1-2 Tbsp honey (not sure how much I added - just squirted it into the pot)
Cook together the bacon, onion, garlic, pepper, and hamburger for a few minutes, until it's fragrant (mmmmm, bacon....) and the onions are clear. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and cook until it's heated through. Simple and delicious!


1 comment: